Wellbeing Scan from 28 weeks
Wellbeing scan + free 4D peek
A Growth Scan can be performed from 28 Weeks gestation – 40 weeks.
What is a Growth Scan?
You may like to know how well your baby is growing during your pregnancy. Our growth scan will provide you with an estimation of your baby’s weight at the time of your scan.
During this scan the Sonographer will perform measurements of your baby which include the following;
- Head Circumference (HC) A measurement around your baby’s head
- Abdominal Circumference (AC) A measurement around your baby’s abdomen
- Femur Length (FL) A measurement of your baby’s femur
All of these measurements are obtained by producing images which include anatomical landmarks to ensure the correct measurement is being made. By producing these measurements our ultrasound equipment uses a formula to estimate the weight of your baby. The measurements produced are displayed on growth charts.
Others checks made during your growth scan are:
- Fetal Heart Beat
- Presentation. This is the position your baby is lying within the uterus.This may be Cephalic (head down), Breech (head up), Transverse (across the uterus) or Oblique (diagonal)
- Placental Location. This is to check the position of the placenta. The placenta may be anterior (along the front of the uterus), posterior (along back), fundal (along the top) or lateral (at the side). We will check whether the placenta is low lying. This is where it reaches or covers the internal Os which is the exit for your baby
- Amniotic Fluid Volume. This is the amount of amniotic fluid (waters) around your baby
- It may be necessary to check the blood flow through the umbilical cord
- Fetal gender check if required
- Free 4D Peek if your baby is in a favourable position, and images
We will discuss the scan and issue you with a full scan report to present to your usual health professionals.
Following this scan a referral to your booking hospital may be arranged.
- Cost – £75